From the Publisher ...
Time passes, and things change. Another month has come and gone and we're still here! And with new original content. We know that you can go anywhere and get all the latest bits fed, and re-fed to you through the syndicated channels, but we're not into just regurgitating the same old stuff you heard two days ago. Our writers may review the same movies, books, or events ... but they will offer their perspective on the experience. You come to us for that perspective, and experience. As we grow, we hope to gain new perspectives from the new areas we reach into.
This month we welcome Matthew Yenkala to our fold. He offers book reviews, movie reviews, and his own perspective on the events he covers. Matthew is a young entrepreneur spreading his wings in the valley, and working on making his way in the world on his own terms (with a compromise thrown in here and there).
We are happy to be working with LepreCon, Inc. on this years LepreCon convention in May. A lot has been going on the past few years, as the convention has been getting updated for the new "convention scene". Gaming is growing, Cosplay is commanding our attention, and media has exploded and expanded to nearly ALL our electronic devices. I mean for crying out loud ... Netflix on your gaming console? sheesh! LepreCon boasts a film festival, and a mystery dinner theater! So check out their website: Leprecon 39.
In space, SpaceX not only sent another cargo ship to the space station, but they lifted their Grasshopper to new heights of hover-ing and then landing to work out the kinks of re-useable rocketry and bring prices down. Orbital sciences launched their test flight, and with the success hopes to begin cargo deliveries soon.
Three-D printing, quantum teleportation, The Lone Ranger, Iron Man 3, and Man of Steel are just a few of the items that will grace our pages in the coming weeks as we strive to keep up with the happenings in our world.
- Your Publisher
From the Editor ...
DEADLINE FOR THE WOD LOOMING AGAIN...AND COMIC BOOK DAY AND NEWS FROM LEPRECON 39.
It is that time again. Deadline for May's issue is this coming weekend. I need ALL articles, reviews and final ADS. No pushing the deadline this time guys -- have LepreCon work to get done! I need any articles on LepreCon 39, Phoenix Comic Con, AND Comic Book Day.
This May issue will prove to be the most read issue this year because of the shear number of conventions held throughout the country over Memorial Day. Not sure what I'm talking about, then check out our CALENDAR page on this website. Am sure I am even missing some still.
Besides this fact, May also holds two to the largest genre/geek conventions in Arizona, LepreCon 39 over Mother's Day weekend, May 9-12th; and the Phoenix ComiCon over Memorial Day weekend. Not only will their be newspapers available for both events, but I will also be out throughout both weekends. I am the Co-Chair for LepreCon 39, so you will find me everywhere that weekend, starting with the LepreCon Filk Festival on Thursday night. We will be featuring original independent films and short works. We will have three ballrooms to fill, so get your FREE to the public tickets now at Eventbrite: http://lepreconfilmfestival.eventbrite.com/#
If you have an article, review or would like to CASH IN on this issue's readership, then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and check out our ADVERTISING PAGE here on The WOD.
Top 10 Reasons Why you should Advertise in The WOD Newspaper & Newzine
10. Because we all like the smell of real ink on paper – gives us a warm fuzzy feeling of comfort.
9. Without your support, that warm fuzzy feeling of a real newspaper will go away, just like the memories of when you were no longer able to listen to your favorite 8-track tapes because the technology went away.
8. Because the Managing Editor is a sappy Idealist.
7. And apparently, so is the Publisher.
6. Because advertising methods have changed along with everything else, so linking old school newsprint with an online webzine will give added value to advertisers and to readers of all ages.
5. Because the fans and convention goers are a well read lot, with an expansive love of many things. Sometimes even a freakish desire to collect odd products or to experience wild services.
4. Nowhere else can you get a calendar with so many choices in conventions across the U.S. and still get fresh content in the variety of interests you want to read about.
3. Because this is just the beginning and we have so many more ideas that we want to unleash on all of you.
2. If you are an author, publisher, bookstore, game store, or any company whose target market is readers, fans or convention goers, and you are not advertising on The WOD, then what the heck are you waiting for?
1. Because The WOD, stands for the WHOLE FREAKING WOD! Don’t blow it!
-- Managing Editor, PJ Hultstrand